Thursday, July 9, 2015

When Travelling Abroad, Expect the Unexpected

As one who has had her luggage delayed and sent elsewhere, her husband break his patella (kneecap), missed connecting flights because of problems in customs, been taken aside by the Canadian border patrol (yes Canadian) for questioning, and had a pilot abandon a landing in France because of foggy weather, I have learned to expect the unexpected when travelling abroad (either that, or I have the luck of John Candy and Steve Martin in "Planes, Trains and Automobiles.")

Because of the above-named problems, here are some things I have learned to prepare for while travelling abroad:

Budget for More Than You Think Your Trip Will Cost

Many unexpected expenses can come up during a vacation—medical problems, injuries, inclement weather (the airlines will not pay for a hotel room if the weather is not conducive to flying), flight delays, extra hotel expenses, or something you want to purchase that you simply must have. I have learned to budget for more than I think my vacation will cost. As my father says, "Bring twice the money and half the clothes" you think will you need on holiday.

Bring Essentials with You on the Plane In Case Your Luggage Gets Delayed or Lost

I still see myself, pitiful, face-down on my featherbed after arriving in Germany from a long journey from the United States. My luggage had somehow been diverted to Sweden. I had practically nothing to prepare for my deep, jet-lagged sleep. I didn't even have a toothbrush. It took over 24 hours to receive my luggage. I now carry most essentials with me on the plane—at least a toothbrush and some comfortable loungewear in case of some unforeseen problem with my luggage.

Invest in Travel Insurance

When my husband "Deke" and I took a dream vacation to Greece, we were fortunate that we invested in travel insurance; after a glorious time in Santorini and Mykonos, Deke slipped and fell on some wet marble in Athens (fellow travelers, heed this advice: wear rubber-soled shoes on wet marble!). The travel insurance company expected us to pay for his medical care in Athens and they later reimbursed us; as noted above, this is a great reason to have more financial resources than you think you will need.

Have the Number and Address of the Embassy or Consulate of Your Home Country Readily Available in Every Country to Which You Will Be Travelling in Case of Problems

I was travelling peacefully to my peaceful neighbors to the North—Canada, when there was some kind of mix-up with my passport. I was taken aside and asked to visit with the immigration people. While I tried to see myself as superior to my fellow folk pulled aside to be interrogated regarding their citizenship status, I had a hard time doing so when I was roughly asked what I was doing in Canada, where I worked in the United States, if I had been to Canada before, etc., etc. I was without my husband and a little afraid.

Walking over the border from Mexico, I was with my entire family of origin when the Mexican/American border patrol took me aside and asked if I was an American citizen; they also asked where I lived because this border patrol person surmised that I did not look or sound American. As I looked to my brother and father for help, who were laughing hysterically, I realized just how vulnerable one can be in another land.

My late friend of Middle-eastern descent was travelling in what I had thought of as a mild-mannered, European country. While he was at the train station minding his own business, he was seized by police and taken to a location for questioning. As they put on their rubber gloves for a strip search, my friend declared, "I'm an American citizen," to which the authorities replied, "This isn't America." My friend had never wanted an American Embassy more in his life.

If you think that this can't happen to you, you are wrong. You never know what you may encounter while on holiday in a foreign land. In both Mexico and Canada I felt vulnerable, even if it was only for seconds, and wished that I had the contact information for the American embassies there.

Give Yourself One to Four More Days upon Return before Going Back to Work

Unforeseen delays are sometimes inevitable. I have missed a couple of days of work thinking that I could go back to work the next day after returning home. I have learned to give myself one to two days leeway, not only to readjust from jetlag, but to give myself a cushion in case I am delayed coming home—or even if it is just to adjust to the idea of going back to work again!

Consider a Vacation Home Exchange

In a foreign land, reliable, comfortable accommodations can really put your mind at ease. Consider a luxury home exchange. It's a great option if you like saving money on travel, want flexibility as an option, and desire better than average amenities. One of the great things about a luxury home exchange is communication and arrangements with the homeowner BEFORE your journey. International Vacation Home Exchange is a great company with which to work. Not only do you have access to communication with the owner, but also International Vacation Home Exchange employees while you are abroad. See how this works, and read testimonials.

If something happens when you are on holiday, and you need to linger at your luxury home exchange, chances are you will be able to do so if you communicate with the IVHE.com team and the owner. What a great way to travel!

Keep a List of Affordable Hotels in Each City You Will Land in Case Your Journey Is Delayed

In these times of terrorist attacks, cramped planes, weather problems, and other unforeseen disasters, it's prudent to keep a list of affordable hotels in each city you will land in case your journey is delayed. By doing so, you will at least have a plan of some sort. Sometimes your journey is delayed for pleasant reasons, like you fall in love with a place or a person and want to linger. When this happens, it's great to know that there are other places you can go if you're hotel is booked and you cannot linger longer there.

Consider Getting a "Throw-Away" Cell Phone While Travelling

For some of us, changing our cell phone plan for an overseas journey is simply not economical. However, communication with the person or people with whom you are travelling is critical, especially if something unexpected comes up. Why not consider throw-away cell phones? They can often be purchased in your country of origin or in your destination country.

Whether they are pleasant or unpleasant reasons, the unexpected is bound to come up while travelling abroad; it is best to have some measure of preparedness when the inevitable, unforeseen occurs.

No comments:

Post a Comment